Homeowner Enhancement Loan Program
Housing Enhancement Loan Programs
The Housing Enhancement Loan Programs (HELP) were created to increase, improve, and preserve the supply of housing owned and occupied by persons and families of low and moderate income. HELP provides forgivable loans to assist residents to enhance the homes that they own. In turn, these home improvements result in many benefits to the community, including:
• Improving, promoting, and preserving positive neighborhood characteristics;
• Promoting varied housing opportunities;
• Improving and enhancing the housing stock;
• Remediating health and safety issues; and
• Supporting and promoting the growth and vitality of the business environment.
HELP loans are available to qualified homeowners living in these areas:
• City Heights HELP Area (PDF)
• College Grove HELP Area (PDF)
• Crossroads HELP Area (PDF)
• Linda Vista HELP Area (PDF)
• North Park HELP Area (PDF)
• San Ysidro HELP Area (PDF)
• Southeastern HELP Area (PDF)
Homeowners must meet certain income requirements and be willing to have a deed restriction recorded on their properties over the period of the forgivable loan. HELP loans may be used to make a variety of interior and exterior improvements to homes and their landscaping.
Examples of eligible improvements include painting, lighting, windows, doors, stucco, tile, fencing, sidewalks, drought-resistant landscaping, roofs, flooring, carpet, lead paint abatement, electrical, cabinets, sprinklers, sod, water heaters, wall heaters, plumbing, sinks, showers, walkways, and garage doors.
Examples of ineligible improvements include non-permanent fixtures, security systems, personal property, equipment, and any other improvements deemed by the Redevelopment Agency to be inconsistent with redevelopment purposes and objectives
The following program guidelines describe in detail, according to area, the eligible participants, the eligible properties, the eligible improvements, and the loan terms:
• City Heights HELP Guidelines (PDF)
• College Grove HELP Guidelines (PDF)
• Crossroads HELP Guidelines (PDF)
• Linda Vista HELP Guidelines (PDF)
• North Park HELP Guidelines (PDF)
• San Ysidro HELP Guidelines (PDF)
• Southeastern HELP Guidelines (PDF)
For more information contact Civic San Diego at (619) 235-2200.